Monday, June 9, 2008

Rambling On

I don't think I'm inside my own mind today...

That's not to suggest I'm crazy or anything It's really just a precursor to assuming whatever I have to say here is the truth, from the heart, and well, as irrelevant as it may seem to you it has striking resonance to me personally otherwise I wouldn't be taking the time to write about it.

I've written about all kinds of things; superheroes, aliens, secret government organizations and little white lies. Fiction is a wonderful tool, a great place to expunge imaginatively pursuits. I love to write and I love to write because it's one of the few times I feel truly free. Inside my little world of the page I can literally create anything I can think of, and I'm only restricted by my own imagination. A world of words holds a freedom unlike anywhere else and its this place that I feel most comfortable.

I think that it's important for everyone to have something that they can lose themselves in, and if they haven't found it I think everyone should be looking. Don't let yourselves become complacent with the cards life has dealt to you. We all need something absconding from the powerful grasp of CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox and we all need to find some thing to embrace like Tennis, Golf, fuck even reading. Because there definitely isn't a lot of imagination going on in the world today.

Anyone who grew up in the 80's feels it. Whenever they may be enjoying a program with their youngsters. Cartoons of today hardly have any imaginations, Cartoons that were on the air when I was a kid. Cartoons like Batman: The Animated Series, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Tick, and a whole slew of others. If you were to pick any cartoon from the crop of my childhood and compare it to whatever they're showing on television today I can guarantee that the result of the test would be that nostalgia wins, all the time. Maybe it's just personal resonance but things that we watched in our youth, regardless of quality, they always sit with me. I would take Darkwing Duck or The Loony Toons any day of the week.

Movies is the same thing, I was watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit the other day which easily has to be one of the most imaginative children's movies ever created. What child could hate a movie which has practically every staple of his own childhood in it when in contrast to something like Space Jam, The novelty of Bugs and Daffy sharing the screne with Michael Jordan and Bill Murray doesn't quite compare to Bob Hoskins flying from the sky as Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny taunt him with their own parachutes, before pulling a very loony trick on the falling Mr. Hoskins. I never watched Loony Toons: Back In Action but I am pretty confident it doesn't compare.

Everywhere media is present, we can see. As time has come and gone, the suits that control these mediums have broken it down into a science. They don't give a shit about imagination and story. They have broken down what should make a financially successful movie into a formula and its a formula that they test again and again every year, and more and more of us continue to see this downward trend and nobody stops to wonder why the U.S. Box Office numbers have been at an all time low, not that The Internet has had anything to do with that, people don't want to go and pay abysmal prices to go watch shitty movies. At least, we shouldn't! A lot of us do all the time! STOP IT!

I would just love to feel excited to go to the theater again. Know I wont have to worry about being assaulted by car commercials or advertisements. Knowing that I'm escaping to a world of carefully thought out and pondered imagination and not a movie that some studio has manufactured from ground one for commercial success. I would love to walk into a movie and be blown away by it, rather than knowing full well what I'm getting from a movie months before it comes out due to revealing movie trailers and constant media coverage. It's all big business but I ask, where's the mystique?

Just try to pour a little imagination into your life, read a book. Turn off the TV, sit down with your friends and talk about something that makes you think. Use your brains and we'll all be off for the better

Maybe a more direct message next time but until then,

Peace!

No comments: