Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fear Factor

I'm not inside my own mind today... why is everyone so fucking afraid in this country?

Afraid to walk the streets at night

Afraid to leave their doors unlocked

Afraid to let their children play in the yard unattended

Afraid to confront people

Afraid of pretty much anything you can put to mind. It doesn't make any sense. The thing that boggles my mind isn't really how much people tell me they're afraid but how much media tells me I'm afraid. The News tells me to be fearful, Newspapers write horror stories while, Radio plays this up as well by keeping the people up to date on the latest tragedy. Nobody really seems to question it, lots of people read the newspaper and watch the news and they don't even seem to realize how afraid they really are.

Everyone is afraid, it's a culture of fear that's been created in less than my cognitive 'adult-ish' years so lets say a good decade at least.

The biggest telling tale is current events of my small town. A young girl/woman (19 I believe) was abducted and later (over a month) found murdered. People rallied together to find this girl, you couldn't pass a block of street without seeing her missing persons poster. The hope everyone shared that she could be alive was a real uniting energy the likes of which I have RARELY seen... The town set up this corner of the road where I believe her shoe was found as a kind of memorial. Candles and such all along the side walk. It was kind of cool to see such a sporadic commemoration of good will. Pretty much a couple months passed from the day she went misising before the people were given any kind of answers and even then, knowing what we know. We know this:

- She was murdered.  (Around the same time another person was brutally murdered in front of his fucking family, disgusting act. I believe this to be mere coincidence, there are those who do not. That is all I will say on this. Believe what the fuck you want on the matter.)

- She was abducted off the side of the road. She lost a shoe, and it wasn't akin to Cinderella.

- She didn't have her phone because some assshole Cab Driver wouldn't wait for her and her friends as they went to the bar that night.

- She was found, pretty far off from where she was supposedly taken. On farmland, I'm not sure WHERE exactly it is because the knowledge I have of the local area is shit. It was out of town though, that I am sure.


- Her boyfriend was supposed to pick her up at Big Al's, a convenience store quite a ways away from the bar, Doolys, she was at, why couldn't her BF have just picked her up at the bar? THIS was a point of much finger pointing at the boyfriend for some time though I believe he's innocent of the matter, again, lots of chitter chatter of people wanting to believe otherwise.

That's another thing I want to digress on, people LOVE to theorize with open books like this. Holy shit everyone had their two fucking cents about what happened to this poor girl and who did it. ITS STILL LIKE THAT for a lot of people but the hysteria has really died down since she was found and that's something at least...

It scares me how eager people are to play the blame game and make causal accusations based off of pure thought. No basis what so ever other than what they've been told by and read in the media. We all know the Media is such a trustworthy fountain of knowledge so why question it. I think it's a big reason for the fucking coma Canadians seem to be in right now, again, another rant for another time...

Moving along... still, nothing has been really proven to the people. I will not dive into the theories I've heard, aside from the brief tidbits I've touched upon (personally intriguing IDEAS to me.) In a small town you have to believe what you feel and I have the sense there is a lot of bullshit to the whole situation and when you let your mind wander with possibilities, something menial can become sensational and something horrific could become extraordinary in a sense.

What followed after her death was something that disgusted me entirely. The way the local newspaper in particular pushed the story and did so for nearly a week after her being found in farm land decomposed made people crazy. They were scared to walk the streets day or night, there was this whole kind of global maternal instinct to protect young women who looked vulnrible. Not for me, that's ANOTHER rant... but just the general consensus of people adopted this attitude "Oh, you shouldn't be out there by yourself." "You gotta be real careful these days, you don't know who to trust."

That's a doozie right there... "You don't know who to trust."

What the fuck is that.  YES YOU DO. YOU FUCKING KNOW what you KNOW.

For fuck sakes, OPEN your eyes and look at the world for what it is and right then you will know what you can fucking trust in this world. Some of the people you KNOW are the only people you can trust in this world. That's why I hate that saying... It makes me so mad when people casually toss that one around like any one of us is a goddamn psycho.

I am so sick and tired of people and the media telling me who I have to fucking trust. I am an adult, I see the world for what it really is and I can trust what I want to trust and DO trust what I want to trust, you can keep your fucking opinion to yourself asshole.

Why does it seem like crime rates are actually down (one of the HUGE arguments against Harper's Megacrime bill) yet all they tell us about is how fucking dangerous the world is. Its not safe anymore despite what the numbers state. It's this meticulous fear factor that they have really been working on in the last decade. You cant talk about walking home at night without someone telling you about how dangerous it is.

Why is that?

Its everywhere, every single one of us is constantly being told that we're not safe, we're not to trust anyone and we're not to feel secure and it's gotten to the point that it's borderline hysteria with our belief. It's complete subconsciousness, a lot of the time people don't even realize they do it. It's kind of scary. There's no real logic to it and there's no critical thinking against it. People don't really even seem to realize it and they just accept that they are scared and they don't really know why.

I don't know if it's this generation of 'depressed' people being given pills that make them docile and complacent with their oh so horrible lives of having a home and wonderful technology and making money instead of like the third world where GENOCIDE is a casual worry in some people's daily activities. Get over your fucking self... okay I am getting distracted again but I don't know if its this docile society, accepting and believing everything THEY ARE TOLD and not chosing to really think about things for themselves.

Maybe things really are worse, maybe I should be afraid, but fuck you. I will not be afraid because you, the television, newspapers or radio told me to be afraid. I will be afraid because I know the world is capable out there and I will be afraid of the things that are actually happening that people don't give a shit about.

Bills and Laws their governments are passing without a thought because of ignorant, complacent zombies. Fearful zombies that will come together whenever they are displeased about cell phone service but when it comes to their fucking standard of living and their civil liberties (liberties is the most apropriate word, because you can take a liberty away from someone. Rights sound too permanent and I don't believe we have rights anymore in this world)

Let the suits decide, fuck what I think right?

No comments: