Monday, October 4, 2010

Its already October? Jeebus! (General rants and updates)

I don't think I'm inside my own mind today... we might as well be at Christmas Eve, once Halloween comes and goes get ready for the two entire goddamn months of Christmas!

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas. I love the majesty of it, I love how it enthralls children and strokes their little, budding senses of entitlement but I ESPECIALLY love how retail stores eat the shit up too. You can't get ready for Christmas too early in that line of work, if it was up to retail, Christmas would probably go half the year round.

Yeah, fuck that. Why can't we just get pumped for Christmas 12 days before it's supposed to happen. You know, like in the stories and stuff. No that's too much to ask.

It just bothers me, I hate the pressure of the Christmas season. I've never really been the kind of person who's into gifts. I like to give them, but they cost money and I'm cheap. I never ask for gifts because I never know what I want. The things I want are usually expensive, so I don't ask people for them. Makes sense that I try my hand at maybe getting what I want myself.

People ask me what I want, I don't feel comfortable asking for things. It's never personal or anything like that. It's just awkward for me.

In a sense, the whole entire Christmas season is awkward for me.

Just wanted to get that off my chest I guess, let's move on to something else.

Holy shit the Cleveland Browns won a football game! Now 1-3, the talk from Browns fans of an 0-16 season can be quashed. I am not sure how many more football games this team can win but I really hope they can win at least a few more. As long as they keep playing decent football and keeping games close that will ultimately be okay with me, win or lose. This year is about re-building and establishing a team attitude and all of that fun stuff.

With Baseball coming to a close, Hockey season starting up, Football in full swing, it's a good time to be a sports fan.

Work is... work. We'll just leave it at that. I'm still truckin.

I haven't seen many good movies lately. The last movies I watched were Prince of Persia, Hidalgo, Apocalypto and Date Night. Apocalypto was good, but Hidalgo and Date Night were both movies I was left wanting more.

Date Night was a rather by-the-books comedy with some truly genuine laughs but overall a ridiculous plot and a real sense of grasping at straws. The pairing of Steve Carrell and Tina Fey  had so much potential but overall the movie left me wondering why Hollywood keeps making these movies which seem like half of a story idea and then they're just like "Lets but X actress with Y actor and it will be a classic!" Date Night was no classic.      6/10.

Hidalgo was okay. I love Viggo, he's one of my favorite actors. I'd always heard this movie was good so I was excited to see it. Upon seeing it, I realized why I never went out of my way to see it before now. The movie was rather general drama. Man out of his element, a challenge with overwhelming odds, No respect, etc, etc, etc. They tried to kill that horse so many goddamn times that HAD they killed the horse (The horse survives the movie.) it wouldn't of had any impact!     6/10.

Prince of Perisa, well, it was garbage. Period. We turned it off probably half way through, right around when all the drama with the dagger was starting off. The movie just had no spirit and felt as soulless and unmotivated as they came. All the English accents in the middle of the desert? Please fuck off with that!     2/10 (The movie gets points for being based off a cool video game. Thats it)

Movies I want/Need to see: Iron Man 2, Robin Hood, The Expendables, The Town, True Grit, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Machete, Red, MacGruber

Movies I do NOT want to see: Legend of The Guardians, Devil, Resident Evil: Afterlife, The Killers,

Torn over/Meh: The Social Network, 127 Hours, Predators (I've never seen the original Predator films), Jackass 3-D, The Karate Kid, Get Him To The Greek

So that's how the landscape of my Movie future goes as far as movies I'm interested in, or thinking about. Time to shift gears into work mode, I'll maybe brainstorm updating this thing with something more meaningful (or to a point) sometime later this week.

PEACE!

3 comments:

nata_t said...

You're the biggest grinch when it comes to Christmas. :P

Helmsman said...

Overall I'd say Christmas is more appealing on the giving end if you have the money to spend. If you don't it's pretty much a reminder of how little you have and every gift is a patronizing reinforcement of that fact.

I understand the traditions and sentiment of the whole deal. Tash has things pretty much dialed down to a science nowadays in a way that I can appreciate. For women we get salts, soaps and scented candles. For men we get toys, usually things disturbingly close to kids toys. Most guys are quite happy with getting a nerf pistol.

Then there is of-course the fact that Tash works at a sex shop... which means that just about every one of our friends probably has a dildo or a butt-plug sitting in their drawer because we tossed it in a Chris Kringle bag.

Overall I think just getting with everyone and partying our guts out is enough to make Christmas okay. But I think we as adults need to figure out a way to condense Christmas from 3 paychecks (6 weeks) to just one. Once we do that the advertisers won't start the festive ads in October.

Bozarth said...

I agree that giving is what makes Christmas great. I just haven't had the kind of money to devote to Christmas that I want to. Maybe I need to adjust my X-mas mind set but I have this "go big or go home" mentality when it comes to buying gifts and since I can't afford to go big... Well you get the idea

It's more the fact that they start prepping for Christmas like over 50 days before Christmas even hits, i's like, fuck off. Thank you lol

But I like the system you guys have for Christmas, that Tash is a pretty smart lady.