Thursday, December 11, 2008

Indiana Jones and The Train To Shitsville

I don't think I'm inside my own mind today...

I finally watched Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull and I don't know what to think. It's hit me like a ton of bricks. I've never been especially fond of Indiana Jones. I know people who think he's the greatest but I've always been a Batman/Star Wars kind of guy. I didn't watch Indiana Jones and The Raiders of The Lost Ark until my 18th birthday. I hadn't seen the other two movies until about a month ago.

The original trilogy is much like the original Star Wars trilogy in that its spirit and imagination are unprecedented. They're great films and I like all of them. I was kind of stoked to watch Indiana Jones 4 and then the word of mouth came my way. Negative response after another, I found any shred of hope I may have had for the film dwindling. Was there any hope this was going to be good.

It started out well, I had hope it would carry out some glimmer of promise. The prequel trilogy of Star Wars wasn't the best but it was watchable. This Indiana Jones was not the Indy I knew... This Indy was old, past his prime. He met a young greaser by the name of "Mutt Williams" played by Shia LeBouf of Transformers fame. Mutt wanted Indiana Jones to help him save his mother because nobody else would. Their trail lead Indiana Jones to learn that what he once assumed a myth of the tallest tale was something very real.

I can't disregard the imagination they tried to achieve for this movie. Its certainly no fault to Cate Blanchet who did her best but I liked her better as Crazy Bob Dylan. Was it the throwing the gunpowder into the air to find the highly magnetic box? Was it Shia, swinging through vines with chimpanzee. Or all the "mom" "dad" "family" jokes that even Superman Returns had the courtesy to avoid.

This movie was shameful. I hope they made their money because I certainly didn't pay to watch thsi crap. You can thank the internet for that, or maybe I can blame it. If you are one of those people that loves bad movies. You are in for a treat because Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull serves up some primo viewing trash. If any movie deserves a riff track it's this. I'm very happy that in the same night I watched Silence of The Lambs.

Now there's an awesome movie that EVERYONE should watch.

Next Time, I should have a new video game to talk about. What that will be, I'm unsure yet.

PEACE

No comments: